Author Topic: VBA Password Error When Closing the Spreadsheet  (Read 34231 times)

agrasty

• View Profile
VBA Password Error When Closing the Spreadsheet
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:36:09 am »
Hello,

I don't know if I should be receiving this or not, but when I close the spreadsheet, I receive a prompt for a MyCostPro VBA Password.  I just click Cancel on that.  But that causes Excel to Crash and attempt to recover. So I hit cancel when it tries to reopen excel (since I wanted to keep it closed).  It only happens when closing.  I have the newest version of the sheet so not sure what it could be.  Thanks :)

Scott

• Administrator
  • https://mycostpro.com
    • View Profile
    • MyCostPro
Re: VBA Password Error When Closing the Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:53:29 pm »
SOLUTION (Posted by Ssheldon)

In Dropbox settings preferences, switch the Badge setting from Always Show to Never Show

Also, newest version of the sheet (available 7/27/2017) should prevent this issue if you save using the new save button.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:42:51 pm by Scott »

agrasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 11:57:24 am »
Sure - I'm using Office 2016. Thanks

Scott

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MyCostPro
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:30:04 pm »
This is very strange indeed.  Are you closing by exiting full screen and clicking the X on the top right?

agrasty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 12:38:07 pm »
Yea, I haven't operated the sheet in full screen mode, but yes, I was clicking the X in the top right corner -- then it prompts me to save it...I click save.  And then it closes, generates the VBA Password Prompt -- I try to cancel out of that -- Excel crashes and tries to recover each time -- lol not sure what that is

agrasty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 08:46:10 pm »
Error no longer occurs with latest download :)

Hunter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MyCostPro
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:12 pm »
That's good news!  Those odd errors that are hard to reproduce are challenging to fix.  I'm glad the latest sheet seems to have worked out the issue.  Thanks for using MyCostPro; we really do appreciate the business.

agrasty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 12:36:53 am »
Thanks - I actually think I messed it up lol but I'm honest and will admit that - I think it's because I made a mistake (just now) of clicking the little book in the top left corner "File" and I clicked Close there instead of clicking the X in the top right.  And now that I've done that I continue to get the error...so that is probably how it happened the first time too. :)

Grimfyre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 04:06:04 pm »
I'm receiving this error as well on March 7 2017...

Not sure what to do?

ssheldon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 02:26:55 pm »
I also get the MyCostProVBA Password box when exiting and it crashes when I hit cancel on the password box. It does it when I get out of full screen mode and click the x in the upper right and it also does it if I Save first on the left and then click Exit Excel.

I'm using Excel 2007 with Windows 10. Could the issue be because I'm using such an old version of Excel? If so, what is the most stable version tested with mycostpro?

Thanks!

Scott

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MyCostPro
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 07:13:28 pm »
Hi,
Excel 2007 is just fine (I actually wrote most of the software using excel 2007).
I have not been able to replicate this issue.  If anyone that is having this issue is willing to do the following and report back, I would really appreciate it:  Uninstall Office Excel 2007, and reinstall.
There may be an issue that Microsoft has since patched.

ssheldon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 02:30:36 pm »
I just downloaded from Microsoft and re-installed last month as I got new computer. I find that if I close the workbook and wait a minute or so before closing Excel it doesn't crash but the MyCostProVBA Password box still comes up and takes me anywhere between 4-10 clicks to finally close it.

Scott

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • MyCostPro
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 07:58:20 pm »
This just perplexes me, because no matter what I do I cant duplicate it.  We will continue to investigate...

ssheldon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 09:59:22 pm »
This just perplexes me, because no matter what I do I cant duplicate it.  We will continue to investigate...

Don't you hate that! If you're like me, the solution will pop in your head in the middle of the night :) Another idea just to eliminate people closing the workbook without using the BIG X or having to leave Full Screen to save - I would create 2 macro buttons on every page - SAVE and SAVE and EXIT. I don't use Excel much and when I first started testing the file I couldn't figure out how to save, so I clicked the BIG Red X so it would prompt me to save.

Although I love (and need) the full screen toggle, I would make it available maybe only on a separate options page. That button on every page invites you to click and makes it waaay too easy to mess things up. That way people that need it will find it, and those that don't won't click it.

Thanks again Scott and Hunter for this little gem of software. Have a great weekend!

ssheldon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 10:07:34 am »
Edit below: Spoke too soon. Still happening. Might work for some so I'll leave it up. I did notice that it only happens after a save. If I don't save the file before exit the password box does not come up.

SOLUTION: I read that this issue can happen if you have Acrobat PDFMaker COM addin enabled. I checked, and I did (from an old Acrobat 8 installed with my Adobe Suite). I disabled the addin and the problem goes away.

Steps to disable:
Open Excel in Administrator mode (right click - Select Run as Administrator)
Click the Office Button in top left corner and select Excel Options
Go to Add-Ins
At the bottom next to Manage select COM Add-ins and click Go
If you see that Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-in is checked, uncheck.
Exit Excel and restart.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:37:22 pm by ssheldon »